It’s no secret that teenagers are particularly self-conscious and sensitive. In the social media age, appearance matters more than ever—just think about how today’s teens live in a world of shared selfies and cultivated Instagram personas. If this sounds like your teen, you’ll likely hear some grumbling when it becomes apparent they need braces.
Thankfully for your teen, the orthodontists at Aspire Orthodontics offer Invisalign Teen, which is a virtually invisible teeth-straightening system, designed specifically for teens. The best part—after a short treatment period, your teen will reveal a smile that creates confidence worthy of a Snapchat selfie.
Invisalign is a treatment that consists of transparent plastic trays that fit directly over a patient’s teeth. Each Invisalign tray is worn for one week before the patient switches it out for the next one. Every new tray moves the patient’s teeth closer to the final teeth alignment. Unlike traditional braces which are cemented directly to teeth, Invisalign trays are removable.
With Invisalign instead of traditional braces, you will be able to neutralize many of the objections your teen might have to orthodontics:
- “I don’t like the way braces look.” – Most people won’t know your child is in orthodontic treatment.
- “I can’t eat what I want.” – People wearing traditional braces are instructed to avoid hard, crunchy foods and sticky foods. Because Invisalign trays are removable, there are no dietary restrictions.
- “Braces are uncomfortable.” – Invisalign has no wires or brackets to irritate the inside of your mouth. Movements are softer with Invisalign which means less soreness.
- “Braces will get in the way of my sports.” – If you wear traditional braces, orthodontists recommend you wear a mouth guard when playing sports, but with Invisalign, your teen can just take out the trays when necessary.
- “It’s hard to clean your teeth in braces.” – Your child can remove the Invisalign trays to floss and brush like normal.
- “I can’t miss school or practice.” – There are fewer appointments with Invisalign treatment compared to braces.
Invisalign Teen even includes “compliance indicators,” blue dots that fade with constant use, so you’ll be able to monitor that your teen is wearing the trays as often as necessary. The doctors at Aspire Orthodontics can let you know if Invisalign is a good option for your child. Contact us to set up a complimentary consultation via www.aspireortho.com or (423) 476-7561.