I have tried several homemade things in the last few years: laundry soap, dishwasher soap, cleaners, etc., and after a few rounds, I seem to move on. But one thing that I love are my homemade wipes. In general and most popularly, we use these on the bum. But they are great for sticky hands, sweaty faces, and wound cleaning.
These wipes are amazing, cost efficient, and everyone in your home will use them.
So here is the skinny (someone around here had to use the term, and clearly it doesn’t apply to my person anymore).
- BOUNTY paper towels—largest size, not select a size (don’t get a different brand; it doesn’t work as well!)
- Coconut oil; I use Vitacost brand unrefined organic
- I prefer Honest Company 3 in 1 Orange Vanilla soap
- Tea tree oil; you aren’t consuming this, so it is fine to buy from the store. I use the Vitacost Brand. This ingredient keeps your wipes fresh and from growing mold (sounds nasty but it’s the truth!)
- Essential oil of your choice for fragrance
- I use tap water, but if you are super crunchy feel free to buy Evian
- Sealable container; mine is Rubbermaid
How to Make them:
- Cut your paper towel roll in half with a super sharp knife so you end up with two toilet paper-sized pieces. Make sure the “cut” edge ends up at the bottom of the container.
- Grab your container and add:
- 1 ½ TBSP. of coconut oil
- 1 TBSP. of soap
- 1 tsp. tea tree oil
- 2 cups of HOT water. Adjust to preferred wetness desired and roll size. Two cups usually works great on the “big” roll. Use a little less for the “regular” roll and a little more for the “huge” roll.
- Stir until mixed thoroughly and add your desired number of essential oil drops for fragrance (usually 6-10)
- Quickly dunk you paper towel roll in the solution smooth side first and pull it out.
- Flip it over and drop it back into the remaining solution with the “cut” edge on the bottom of the container.
- Close the container lid and let it sit for 10+ minutes or until you need to use wipes again.
- Remove the cardboard inner tube and start pulling your wipes up through the middle.